Calvados lies at the gateway to the English Channel, the world’s busiest stretch of sea. It also straddles major trading routes, due to its proximity to Paris, Le Havre and its strategic position between Northern and Southern Europe.
9,200 people generate turnover of more than a billion euros in turnover. All the logistics “families” are represented in Calvados:
- Retail logistics
- Manufacturing logistics
- Logistics services (purchasing, assembly, grouping, picking and packing, etc.)
- Express deliveries
The thriving food industry has made Calvados a natural base for logistics businesses specializing in fresh and so-called “ultra fresh” food.
Major flows of merchandise
1 company : Brittany Ferries
- Shipping. Freight : daily cross-Channel ferry services to England (Caen-Ouistreham / Portsmouth).
2 ports : Caen-Ouistreham
(11th largest French port / 3.85 million tons of merchandise in 2011) : grain, fertilizers, scrap metal, wood and exotic wood, coal, salt, animal foods... Honfleur commercial port
(0.5 million tons in 2008) : woods, petroleum products, marine aggregates and a range of other goods...
- Road haulage
- Air transport: Caen-Carpiquet airport (58 tons in 2011) and Deauville Normandie Airpor (specializing in horse transportation).
- Rail transport
Groupe Malherbe, Normatrans, Noyon, Euro-Normandie Logistic, Larbre Industrie (Groupe Euro-Logistic), TFE (groupe STEF), Groupe Chatel, LETNA (Groupe Chatel), CBM, Transports Godfroy (Groupe Nichirei), Transport Antoine, Transports Gringore, Transports Lexoviens, SOTRALE, Groupe Norbert Dentressangle, ABX Logistics, Bonafini, Mertz Transports, Sofrino-Sogena, CH Robinson, Chronopost International, MTA, Cool Jet, TNT Express, Transports Alloin, DHL, TAT…
- 4 industrial estates within the Caen area including the industrial harbour estates along the River Orne
- The Honfleur-Calvados business park (near Le Havre’s Port 2000 )
- 200 hectares business park in Mézidon-Canon - at the planning stage.
Consult our commercial property database
to find out about vacant logistics premises
Training for jobs in logistics
- Qualifications ranging from the warehouse and parcel delivery certificate to the technical diploma in logistics methods and operations or the logistics and marketing certificate. Courses run by approved training centres for forklift truck operators.
- A Bachelor's degree in international logistics services) at the Ecole de Management de Normandie.
- Continuing education programs for professionals in operating techniques, purchasing, computer-assisted inventory management, maintenance, management, etc.
To find out more , log onto www.logexpert-bn.com