With its superb beaches, unspoilt countryside and plethora of historic and cultural landmarks, it is not surprising that tourism has become one of main economic sectors of Calvados.
- 8,500 companies are involved in tourism
- The annual turnover is € 1 billion, or 36% of the turnover of the whole of Normandy (source Cabinet Détente).
- The industry generates 15,000 direct or indirect jobs, including more than a third in hospitality and catering
- 50% of jobs are seasonal and 30% of workers are not salaried
- Twenty schools and colleges offer courses leading to a diploma in catering or tourism
Tourist and leisure facilities
- There are 58 tourist information centres
- 90 museums and other tourist attractions whiche attract more than 8 million visitors each year
- There are 8 casinos, 8 racecourses, 12 golf courses, 3 thalassotherapy centres, 13 marinas
- 4,900 km of footpaths and nearly 120 kmof coastline.
- There are several international events: The American Film Festivalin Deauville, international show jumping competitions and yearling auctions...
|Calvados is the French county with the second highest number of classifiied monuments. It also has some major historical landmarks, including all the places and museums linked to D-Day ( Colleville American Cemetery, Arromanches, the Caen Memorial), which attract more than 4 million visitors altogether.
Our county boasts exceptional architectural, artistic and religious riches, with two “towns of historical and artistic interest” (Caen and Honfleur). There is also the basilica in Lisieux (500,000 visitors) and the Bayeux Tapestry (385,000 visitors).
- Accomodation for 430,000 tourist and 22,5 million overnight stays in 2010.
- Caravan parks and campsites account for 55.8% of commercial accommodation.
- 132 companies provided 1.35 million overnight stays in caravan and on campsites in 2010. 51.3% of their customers are foreign tourists (2010).
- Hotels accoount for 21% of commercial accommodation: 277 hotels provided 2,9 million guest nights. 25% of their customers are foreign tourists (32% of these are from the UK).
- Calvados also offers good-quality rural accommodation (self-catering and B&B)
To find out more , log onto : www.calvados-tourisme.com