||Over the last decade, Calvados has made remarkable inroads into the high technologies market.
New companies are starting up each year, as a result of the many partnerships between industry and academia.
It is in the electronic banking sector that the county has developed its greatest expertise, making a name for itself throughout Europe as a data security and electronic banking hub. Indeed it was here that the very first smart cards were tested ! Calvados welcomes the high technologies companies in technological facilities and business parks.
Recognized for its expertise in the NFC (Near Field Communication) technology, the urban area of Caen la mer was appointed in 2011 as a "pilot area for contactless transactions" by the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Digital Economy.
- Data processing and electronic banking , with cutting-edge companies such as ADCIS (vision software), EDSI (development study and computer security), Gage Interactive, Likinia, Quantaflow, Granity Partner Group....
- multimedia and IP (Internet Protocol) : NetCentrex (software development for IP telephony), Eldim (world leader for screen measurement and control), etc.
- electronics and instrumentation : NXP Semiconductors founded in 2006 by Philips Semiconductors (in Caen since 1957), production of integrated circuits and components for the telecommunications market and home electronics), Chauvin Arnoux (measuring equipment), Eldim (screens control world leader), Ipdia, Presto Engeneering...
Training for jobs in high technologies
ENSICAEN offers first-class courses, unique of their kind in Europe, leading to a “microcircuits and application” technical degree and an engineering diploma in “electronic banking and security”. ENSICAEN supplies the French industry with a quarter of all its electronic banking engineers and offers a wide range of technical college diplomas, degrees and postgraduate diplomas, as well as in-house training leading to qualifications.
Research hubs at the service of industry
Many success stories have been made possible by the cooperation agreements between France Télécom’s Orange R&D Centre, the ENSICAEN engineering school, NXP Semiconductors and the University of Caen Basse-Normandie.
- Orange labs : specialized in telecommunications, multimedia, electronic banking and cryptology.
- LaMIPS : Integrated circuit failure analysis laboratory.
- LATEMS : Laboratory specialized in electronic transactions, electronic banking and security.
- CRISMAT : Crystallography and materials science laboratory.
- GREYC : IT, image and instrumentation research group in Caen.
- ENSICAEN : Engineering school specializing in computer engineering, instrumentation and microelectronics.
And also ...
To promote the development of activities in the field of the high technologies, specialized business parks are available in Calvados: CITIS in Herouville Saint Clair, the North Area and the Technology Park in Caen, EffiScience technological Campus