||The health sector is a proof of our county’s industrial diversity. Indeed, some of the best-known companies have chosen to settle in Calvados representing the whole spectrum of activities, from perfumery to pharmacy and plastics technology. Firms in this sector are supported by world-class public and private research facilities.
Perfumery and beauty care
- OTB (Océan Terre Biotechnologies (Batteur group) : Algotherm marine cosmetics products, used in spa and thalassotherapy.
- OCP Répartition
- CERP (Coopérative d'exploitation et de répartition Pharmaceutique)
- Calvados also has corporate providers of raw materials to the pharmaceutical industry : Synthéval, Borochem, Ceca ...
Research and training
Calvados boasts world-class centres of excellence : medical imaging, cancerology, research into the effects of ageing, development of ground-breaking medicines.
Research is concentrated in Caen :
Other research establishments :
- Caen-Lower Normandy University (2,200 students in medicine, 655 students in the pharmacy department).
- The Caen University Hospital (CHU), a centre for research into medical biology and epidemiology
- The François Baclesse cancer treatment centre
- CYCERON, which makes Caen one of France’s four centres of metabolic research imaging.
- LCMT (Laboratory of Molecular and Thio-organic) of ENSICAEN and the University of Caen: drug research,
- INSERM (National Institute of Health and Medical Research) : Research on memory,
- ARCHADE, a hadrontherapy center project in Caen.
- CERMN : Normandy drug research centre
- GRECAN : Regional Cancer Research Group
- Therapharm (Cider Santé group) : clinical trials on behalf of pharmaceutical laboratories.