The food industry in Calvados sprang from the wealth of the county’s truly ancestral agricultural and maritime resources.
Our county owes its reputation to the quality of its products and is particularly famed for its cheeses (camemberts, livarot, pont l'evêque...°, butter, calvados, seafood and meat.
Last but not least…
- 960 companies employing 11,000 peoples. The sector is dominated by the dairy and brewing industries.
- Calvados is France’s 11th highest milk producer. This milk is used to make butter, cream and cheese, i.e. 10% of the national production of "crème fraîche" and 5% of the national cheese tonnage.
- Normandy’s orchards account for 60% of national cider apple production, and Calvados is one of the region’s leading producers.
This sector is characterized by tremendous diversity, ranging from the meat trade (Normande beef breed) to seafood products, biscuits, fruit and vegetables.
- Dairy produce : Isigny Sainte-Mère (Isigny sur Mer), Vallée SA, Graindorge, Lanquetot...
- Meat : Soviba, Les Salaisons de Brocéliande, Charles Amand...
- Chilled / frozen / deep-frozen products (meat, seafood) : Frial, Schwan’s France, Chiron-ACVF, Charal surgelés, Blini...
- Cider and spirits : Calvados Boulard SA, Cidrerie du Calvados...
- Pet food : La Normandise...
- Agrial : France’s 4th largest group in the multipurpose cooperative sector
- Lactalis : France’s largest dairy producer and its leading exporter of dairy produce
- Danone : the world’s leading producer of fresh dairy produce
- Nestlé : the world’s largest dairy group
- Nutrimer-Scandinavian (Bongrain Group) : market leader in seafood products
- Saint Louis Sucre : beet sugar
- Lyven (Soufflet Group) : Enzymes, organic acids and antibiotics grown on beet pulp substrate
- Standa Industrie : Production of organic and biological solutions for the food industry
- Nestlé Clinical Nutrition : Milk proteins for nutritional products
| ANEA represents food businesses in Normandy
||ANEA is the Normandy Association of Food Businesses. ANEA currently has130 members.
Research hubs at the service of industry
Calvados is developing a biology research hub to promote the transfer of knowledge to the organic agricultural industries.
- The Institute for Biology and Organic Agricultural Industries brings together 6 laboratories, including the food microbiology laboratory (25 employees) and IFREMER (marine physiology and ecophysiology)
- ADRIA Normandie , the Regional Association for the Development of the Food Industry, provides technical assistance and research services, as well as information resources via its online portal (data on the food industry worldwide).
Training for jobs in the food industry
There are a whole range of qualifications, from the BEP technical school certificate to university degrees and engineering diplomas available.
The food-processing industry also benefits from the presence of logistics firms specializing in order preparation, the distribution of food products and the transport of frozen and chilled foodstuffs, as well as suppliers of specialized equipment (TFE, Gringore, Logidis, etc.).
To find out more :
Food industry development agency :